Friday, November 21, 2008

Don't blink or i'll be gone....

Where is this country going? I seem to ask myself that question every once and a while and lately it seems to happen more frequently. The economy is in the toilet (just like my 401K), we are at multiple wars, people are losing jobs and losing their houses, and so many other things that I’m not going to list.

With all of these things happening I have been toying with the idea of retiring (when I am financially able to do so) to a remote island or small area in a peaceful country. A friend of mine mention this to me a couple of years ago and before then I had never thought of doing this before and I have been giving it more thought lately. I’m a big fan of the simple things in life and I truly believe that our culture has brain washed us into wanting things that we do not need in our lives. I have been brain washed and I know that I have things that I don’t need. I want my life to be simple, especially when I retire.

The thought of waking up with no alarm clock and walking or riding the bike into town to get some breakfast. Saying hello to every one on the way there. Then after breakfast going for a hike or laying by the beach or reading a book on the porch while looking at the scenery. The main thing is just having a more simple life and not having to worry about that place where I’m living being at odds with other countries, having a financial crisis, and wondering how long it is until my next vacation. Why not be on a permanent vacation.

I remember when I went to Dominica on my cruise my driver was telling me that they have no crime there. To me that was unreal. He said the only thing that happens is theft, but even that is rare. Now they do have to worry about something called a hurricane. But there are plenty places like Dominica that don’t have hurricanes and have a similar way of life.

We already make our lives difficult enough. I would like to make mine more simple when I retire.

So don’t be surprised if I just up and leave one day and send you a post card from a remote location…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny how things we crave in life always seem to go against the grain.........

It's human nature to seek out comfort and peace in a place where you can simply exist......but does that place really exist????

In my travels I have learned this: No matter where you go you always seem to lose just as much as you gain.........Mr. Kirkland have you thought about the simple things you have now that won't follow you to a remote island?


When you find a solution that balances your needs and your wants please share it...but first use your position to patent the secret and make millions to retire off of it.



***Yet another side of you that intrigues me Mr. Kirkland...:)***

Fred said...

It is possible to live a more simple life and not "escape" from your current surroundings. But the main thing that I look at is the people around me. The society around me. The culture around me. Those are the things that would be nice to simplify.

More than likely it would be 6 months here and 6 months somewhere else...But I guess we shall see.

Now balancing my life...that is a life long journey.