Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cambodia Trip Day 1b

After we boarded our taxi to our hotel and began the drive it became apparent that driving in Phnom Penh was organized chaos. A mixture of mopeds, motorcycles, bikes, tuk tuks, cars, and trucks all making their way around the city. Many of the intersections operate without traffic lights...everyone just slowly makes their way across narrowly missing each other and preventing collisions. I haven't figured out yet if anybody has the right away but every driver seems to know what to do and when to do it. I forgot to add that this all happens with people crossing the road and drivers driving the wrong way on the wrong side of the road in an attempt to make the upcoming left turn...because this is the best way to make a left turn LOL. We reached our hotel, Manor House, and it is situated off a main road in a great location in Phnom Penh. We were greeted by the manager and the owner before being shown to our room where we would stay during our 3 days in Phnom Penh. The room was nice with a big bathroom and plenty of space for us to spread out. There's also a nice pool in order to cool off from the warm days spent traveling around the city. But we didn't want to spend too much time around the hotel just yet as we were ready to explore the city before our bodies realized it was day time and its supposed to be night.

We started out getting a little turned around while walking and finding our way from the hotel. There aren't many street signs and many of the building look strikingly similar to each other. As we were walking and making our way toward the Sap river it was still amazing to me how the Cambodian people made their way through the city. I saw many close calls on the roads but no accidents...hopefully I won't see any during our stay here. Crossing the street for ourselves became easier and easier while reminding me of playing Frogger as a kid. I think my skills from that game helped me avoid the vehicles while the streets...not to mention my blazing speed LOL. Our stomachs began to growl and it was time for our first of many meals in Phnom Penh. Dim Sum it is.

Our first meal consisted of an assortment of dumplings and dough balls, and was one the best things I've eaten in a while. Can't go wrong with eating good food along the river in a new location. However, it was only a snack though because we had plans to meet with friends for dinner soon. So the fat kid inside me would have to wait...We paid the $15 for our food and made our way along the river towards the national museum. The life of the city amazes me and the Cambodian people are fascinating. They smile at you not only wanting your business but greeting you to be friendly. Even when you turn them down they say say thank you as you walk away. It is tough not giving kids money as they walk up and attempt to sell you books, movies, pictures...I can't imagine what I would have done as a kid in a situation similar to theirs. Americans are very fortunate and many of us do not remind ourselves enough of this fact.

Our stomachs began to growl again as we made our way past another restaurant and since our plans had been pushed back another hour or so we decided it was time for meal number 2. We weren't disappointed...my fried noodles with prawns was excellent and I washed it down with fresh coconut juice. All for a grand total of $11 for both of us...can't beat it.

The sun was setting as we met with friends for dinner (yes meal number 3), and my body was telling me it was time to rest...I guess it finally figured out we weren't on east coast time anymore. I enjoyed the dinner with the Cody's even though my eyelids were getting quite heavy at the table and after dinner during our quick trip through the city at night it became very apparent it was time for rest.

We made our way back to Manor House and it was I was ready to get some much needed rest after traveling for over a day and spending some time getting acquainted with Phnom Penh...

Fred


No comments: